Carbon monoxide is produced when fuel such as gas or wood is not burned properly, perhaps due to a faulty appliance. It is difficult to detect because it has no smell or colour, but if it is inhaled it inhibits your blood’s ability to carry oxygen around your body and can kill.
In order to protect yourself and your family from carbon monoxide poisoning it is important to be aware of the risks and to know what symptoms to look out for so that you can remove yourself from any potential harm as quickly as possible.
The most common symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning is a headache, which is often accompanied by one or more of the following;
• Dizziness and nausea
• Confusion and tiredness
• Stomach aches
• Difficulty breathing
Because these symptoms share similarities with flu or food poisoning it is common for them to be ignored in the early stages. Other indicators that your condition may be caused by carbon monoxide are if the symptoms ease or disappear when you are not at home, if other members of the household have similar symptoms, or if you suffer more during the winter when your heating is used more often.
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms and are concerned about carbon monoxide then you should visit your GP. Switch off any appliances that don’t run on electricity, open your windows and stay out of the area until it has had time to air properly.
Here at 1Gas we recommend fitting a carbon monoxide alarm in your home to help protect you from any risk. Having your gas appliances serviced regularly by a fully qualified engineer will also improve their efficiency and can help to pick up on the early signs of wear.
We’re always happy to share our expertise, so feel free to contact us if you’d like to find out more about how to protect your family and stay gas safe.